For those that are not familiar, courtyard homes feature a private open space that is surrounded by the walls of the structure. In this space, people can place a garden, pool, fountain and even a fireplace or a small outdoor theater. These types of designs offer the ultimate in luxurious living and relaxation. Many people opt for them to enjoy the outdoors without the hassle. However, this is not just a modern innovation designed to help people get some fresh air and avoid camping. Homes with courtyards have been in existence for centuries and enjoyed for just as long.
Below are some interesting facts about courtyard homes:
- These types of homes date from roughly 3000 B.C. and are believed to have originated in China and Iran. At that time, the courtyards were used primarily for cooking, gardening, ventilation, and even security. By using these enclosed courtyards, people could avoid having their valuable livestock stolen or attacked by wild animals.
- Centuries ago, people would need to keep a fire burning in a place that was centrally located so that it could heat the entire home. People began putting small holes in the ceilings to allow the smoke to exit the structure. As time went on, they adapted this idea into the open courtyard concept we know and love today.
- Courtyard homes are often built in parts of the country where the weather is on the warmer side, as this style allows occupants to relax in a cool, shaded area within their homes. The air circulation provided by the open space makes them ideal for getting out of the house without burning up. Plant some tall trees within the courtyard for the most shade.
- On the other hand, if you want to make use of the natural light or heating (in the winter) provided by the sun, a more open design can help. Installing large windows in the area of the courtyard facing the sun will maximize this effect.
- Architects and building designers are creating more homes with courtyards, as they give families privacy, create focal points, and offer the opportunity to play and relax safely.
- Courtyard homes of today are popular as they create a private oasis for the homeowners to enjoy. This gives homes, particularly without a view, a focal point to look out onto. These courtyards may include pools, fountains, gardens or even a sculpture.
If you are interested in this style of home, be sure to check out the various courtyard house plans. Plans can be modified to include anything you need, and ensure that you and your family can live as comfortably as possible.